My journey to glorify God by partnering with Christians around the world who are living in poverty

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

+38 Days


The last few weeks have been overwhelming but this week I will hopefully slow down. At noon on Friday the 4th Allen, Moses, Rick, Dave, and I left Monrovia to go to Ganta. I got to see the beautiful countryside for the first time. Firestone Plantation went on for miles as did Charles Taylor’s farm property. We stopped in Gbanga for refreshments and a quick break before tackling the worst stretch of road between Gbanga and Ganta. The trip finally ended at Mr. Blasing’s Farm. The Blasing family donated 25 acres towards LEAD’s research farm.  We spent the remaining daylight hours exploring his farm and working out the details of the ground-breaking ceremony. The farm was incredible to say the least. About 30 acres of jungle were demolished to make way for cabbage, corn, and peppers. Everything was planted in mounded rows. An intricate series of deep trenches were dug to drain the swamp. I was amazed that there was not a power tool or a single piece of machinery on the whole farm. Our Friday night reservations at Alvino’s hotel fell through but we found Sam’s Guesthouse would be suitable after an hour of searching.  We left soon after settling in because Allen had reserved a spot at the local radio station to promote the LEAD research farm with a live interview with Rick.

Saturday the 5th I met my future host family. Levi and Rose are members of Trumpet Baptist church and agreed to host me quite some time ago before I even met them.  They own Uncle Levis Gas Station, a cement distributing center, and a scratch card store. 

The groundbreaking ceremony started at noon so I didn’t have much time to get acquainted with Levi and Rose. We picked up a local journalist on our way to the farm. We showed up to the farm at noon and the festivities began. The whole farming community had gathered to show support for our project. I praise God for the groundwork He has done in every heart of that community to open them up to us. The ceremony traditionally started with a meal. I had GB for the first and hopefully last time. The ceremony lasted about 2 hours. Many farmers from the community spoke to encourage us. Grandpa Blasing offered his encouragement in the Mono (The local/tribal language). The church choir sang. The Preacher blessed the land. Rick, Wessah, Allen, and Dave all spoke on behalf of LEAD. We then proceeded to the jungle so Rick could cut the ribbon and I could take the first machete swing at the bush. Most of the local farmers are young and I already feel a strong connection with them. They teased me about soft American hands and kept explaining to me how hard it was to farm in Liberia. After the ceremony I bought 2 machetes for 8 bucks and got them sharpened at the market. I also went to the local motorcycle dealer and got a bike rented for the week.  Saturday night we had a meeting of the minds with Wessah, Rick, Dave, and myself to discuss the details of the farm. The meeting was very productive and we all agreed on most issues. The rest of the week was spent contracting out brushing as well as other jobs and ensuring their follow through.

The weekend of the 11th Nerwah Tarlo picked up Kent, Jan, and I to spend the weekend at his farm. We were warmly welcomed at the farm with dancing and singing. We had Spagetti, with Spam substituting for the sausage, for supper. Saturday we toured the farm I had GB again for supper that evening. I’m beginning to train my throat to swallow the tasteless slimy food. On Sunday, Nerwah took us back to Ganta.
My time in Ganta was very productive and I now feel the hardships of the average Liberian farmer. We traveled around to many farms throughout the week and personally interviewed the farmers. A lot of Liberians were entertained by 2 huge white guys riding a tiny motorbike.

Wednesday the 16th my focus was immediately switched from farming to LEAD’s upcoming international conference called “Africa’s Marketplace Revolution.” My first assignment on Thursday was to work with Andrew Davis of LEAD to pick up 19 guests from the airport arriving from Ghana and Nigeria. I contacted Andrew around 10 and he assured me the bus he had lined up would carry 35 persons so I assumed it would carry everybody and their luggage from the airport. At 11 we walked a few blocks to the bus to start the journey. Much to my dismay the bus was very small with no luggage rack or storage compartments. When I counted the seats I came up with 20. I then looked at Andrew and asked how many people it would hold. He then looked at the driver and asked him the same question. The driver then hesitated before he said 35. Andrew then turns to me and says “35.” Trying to be calm I asked Andrew again how many did “He” think the bus would hold. He then counted the seats for himself and reported back “20.” Now that we had that established I frantically called Derek and asked him to use the LEAD jeep to haul the visitors’ luggage. Luckily he could manage without it and we were off to the airport by 11:45 with a small bus and jeep. The rest of the trip went smoothly and all the guests arrived safely at their accommodations.

Unfortunately the President, Madam Ellen Johnson Sirleaf couldn’t speak at our conference but she sent the Chairman of the National Investment Commission of Liberia. Ever since Thursday, I have been playing the role of “host” and “taxi driver” to the international guests. My day would normally start around 5:30 so I could be to my first pick-up by 6:30. By 9 all the guest would be at the conference and I would have time to socialize with Liberian businessmen and share about what LEAD does and how it can help them. The conference ended around 5 and my job would turn to “taxi driver.” Thankfully I was home by 9 on most nights. If anyone out there wants a challenge try fitting 13 adults into a Toyota Land Cruiser.

As of now, most of the guests have returned home and my role in Monrovia is quickly coming to a close. I’m hoping to take possession of a 2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 by the end of the week. Once I have the bike registered and plated I will hopefully leave for Ganta on Wednesday the 2nd of March.

I'm in great spirits thanks to Gods faithfulness and the prayers coming from home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment