My journey to glorify God by partnering with Christians around the world who are living in poverty

Friday, January 21, 2011

Organized Chaos

Well I finally made it! For anyone traveling to Liberia use army duffle bags and dress in camouflage upon arrival. Evidently something called PAE comes here from America to train the Liberian military and everyone loves them. For this reason I was quickly waved though customs while everyone else had their bags checked. Monrovia isn’t much different then most big cities in America. Bad drivers, taxies everywhere, commerce on every street corner, and businesses fill the streets every morning.

Pastor Sam is very hospitable and I am very blessed to have air conditioning at night. His two nephews, Lee and Sporty are also living with him. These past few days have been an adventure to say the least. Sunday Derek and I toured the city in the jeep and I quickly learned the simple pattern of streets. We then headed to Pastor Sam’s house. It’s only a 10 min drive from LEAD on a Sunday. On Monday morning Pastor Sam and I went to the church, also where LEAD is, around 9. Morning traffic into town is hectic to say the least. It took us 40 minutes of weaving through pedestrians, taxies, motorcycles, and trucks surrounded by smoke clouds. Getting a motorcycle should cut the time in half because they can drive in between stopped cars.

Once at LEAD, I met the very professional staff and learned the snap-shake that is customary, even among businessmen. I quickly made a fool of myself as I walked up the stairs and discovered the low ceiling with the top of my head. Monday was a crazy day to say the least! I learned how to do simple business, such as exchange money, and bribe the local police. I also ate a dish called fufuo for my first and last time. Monday night the LEAD staff and I attended a soccer game. After attending the game I understand why we use turnstiles in America. Evidently stadiums hire martial arts teams to do security to fend off rioters. It was hysterical watching 3 guys in white robes trying to sort through who had tickets and who didn’t then try and let just the people with tickets in. I would say about two out of three people actually had tickets to the game. The game was wild, Nimba county won 1-0 over Gran-Bassa. 

Tuesday was spent at LEAD helping distribute underwriting letters, and getting supplies for Derek’s birthday party. Shopping in Monrovia takes twice as long and is twice as frustrating. It made me think of when the whole town of Bluffton went into chaos when Wal-Mart was rearranged and it took 5 extra minutes to find things.  Over here to get burrito ingredients we had to go to 3 grocery stores and one produce stand.
The motorcycle shopping has been very discouraging to say the least. All the dealers have a team of uneducated workers to assemble the bike. All the suspensions are stiff, clutches are not adjusted, no oil in the crankcase, chains are too tight, and every part is only finger tightened. I managed to get a look at the assembly room where I found 3 piles of parts on the ground. Apparently they do not have tools or a work bench. I was promised by a salesman the bike assembled for me would be tightened to specs and everything adjusted properly (we will see how that pans out). I have seen some Yamahas and Suzukis around but nothing in good condition.

Walking around downtown is crazy with money changers and scratchcard salesmen every two yards. Cell phones, passport photos, and pirated dvds are seen at least every block. Lebanese own many of the big businesses and hire Liberians to sell their goods and take care of security. Everything here is imported which makes a horrible impact on Liberia’s economy.  The only products that are not imported are bottled water, Club beer, and some produce.

The English here sounds like a completely different language and my name has turned from Brett to Brad because t’s are often left out or changed. When a Liberian is talking directly to me I can understand them if they talk slow. From Liberian to Liberian it is too broken and fast for me to understand. I’m in good sprits and appreciate all the encouragement from e-mails, letters, and facebook messages!!

-And always remember, keep your stick on the ice      Brett

2 comments:

  1. DUDE...NO FU FU! Come on!

    see ya in a few days! can't wait to motor bike with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear all is well! :) I get daily updates from aish!! :) lol praying for u!

    ReplyDelete